Department of Mechanical Engineering （中文版, CV/resume）
Patricia Soh-Khim ONG
(Thesis advisor: Prof Andrew YC Nee)
Fellow of CIRP, International Academy for Production Engineering
2004 M Eugene Merchant Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award
2004 Singapore Youth Award, Science & Technology Category
2006 The Outstanding Young Person of Singapore Award, Science & Technology Category
2009 SWE Emerging Leaders Award in Academia
2013 Singapore Youth Award, Medal of Commendation
S.K. Ong is an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. In November 2003, she was selected to receive the 2004 M. Eugene Merchant Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award from the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, where she is the 1st ASEAN female to have received this award since the award was 1st established. She is also a recipient of the 2004 Singapore Youth Award for the Science & Technology Category. In 2005, she was elected an Associate Member of CIRP, The International Academy for Production Engineering, one of the most exclusive associations for manufacturing researchers in the world, she is the first female person in the Asia Pacific region to be elected. In August 2012, she is elected a Fellow of CIRP, where she is the first from the Asia region and the 4th female fellow in the world to be elected. In March 2006, she was awarded The Outstanding Young Person of Singapore Award for the Science & Technology Category. She was awarded the 2009 Emerging Leaders Award in Academia by the US Society for Women Engineers and she is the first Singaporean to have received this award since the award was established. In 2013, she was awarded the Singapore Youth Award Medal of Commendation for her attaining significantly higher levels of achievements and contributions to society after the conferment of her SYA Award in 2004.
She served as the staff advisor to the Faculty's Students Engineering Club, chairperson for the Faculty Students' Color Award Committee, as well as chairperson of the Student Self-Development Advisory Committee for more than 10 years until 2006. She has served as a member of the NUS University Senate Delegacy from April 2005 to June 2006, 1 July to 30 June 2011, and 1 July 2011 to 30 Jun 2013. She served on the NUS Board of Disciplinary from 1 July 2011 - 30 Jun 2013. She is currently a Junior Faculty Member of the NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering.
She was appointed by Singapore President SR Nathan to serve as a Nominated Member of the Singapore Parliament for a term of 2 ½ years from 2nd January 2005. She served as NMP from 2nd January 2005 to 19th April 2006. She was the only NMP in the last batch of 9 NMPs to have raised an adjournment motion in the Parliament. The topic of her motion was Singapore’s National Research and Development Strategic Thrusts. She was a Resource Panel Member of the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports, Resource Panel for advising Women’s Workgroups on Women and Leadership, Work, Life Skills and Socio-Community Development, and a member of the Assistive Technology Workgroup, Singapore Society for Physically Disabled.
She is an Asia Society Asia 21 Young Leader. In 2006, S.K. Ong was elected to join a new generation of leaders representing a broad range of disciplines and 23 countries from across the Asia-Pacific region and the U.S.
Honours and Awards
National University of Singapore Postgraduate Scholarship, 1992
Teaching Commendation Award for Excellence in Teaching, NUS, 1999/2000
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship, 2000
Best Paper Award, September 2002: A Distributed Feature-based Environment for Collaborative Design, W.D. Li, Y.Q. Lu, H. Zhou, S.K. Ong, A.Y.C. Nee, J.Y.H. Fuh and Y.S. Wong, 2002, Proceedings of the 6th World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, SCI2002, 14-18 July 2002, Orlando, USA, 69 - 74.
IJPR Norman Dudley Award, September 2003: Hybrid Genetic Algorithm and Simulated Annealing Approach for the Optimisation of Process Plans for Prismatic Parts, W.D. Li, S.K. Ong, A.Y.C. Nee, 2002, International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 40, No. 8, 1899 -- 1922. 1st team in the Asia-Pacific region to have received this award. (Certificate)
2004 M. Eugene Merchant SME Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, November 2003. 1st ASEAN female to have received this award since the award was 1st established. (more information; a few photographs of the ceremony; citation read by Professor Marvin DeVries; Singapore LianHeZaoBao newsclip on 25th December 2003; newsclip on Global Network for Chinese Professionals, www.networkchinese.com)
2004 Singapore Youth Award, Science & Technology Category, Singapore National Youth Council. 1st female faculty in the Faculty of Engineering at NUS to have received this award. (more information; a few photographs of the ceremony; citation). Only female technology recipient since the award was initiated.
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship, 2004
IES Publication Awards (Student Category), December 2004, C.C. Ng, S.K. Ong and A.Y.C. Nee, Development and Performance Verification of a Stewart Platform, IES Journal, The Institution of Engineers, Singapore.
10th Natural Science Outstanding Paper Award, December 2004, An Internet-Enabled Image- and Model-Based Virtual Machining System, Y.B. Luo, S.K. Ong, D.F. Chen and A.Y.C. Nee, 2002, International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 40, No. 10, 2269 -- 2288. This paper won the top honour (best 5 out of 7000) after a complex and rigorous process of review and defence in the Hubei Province Excellent Paper Competition. (Certificate)
Samsung DigitAll HOPE Award, November 2005, A team led by Associate Professor Ong Soh Khim and Professor Andrew Nee has won the Samsung DigitAll Hope 2005 for their project Augmented Reality Assistive Keyboard. They share the prize, a grant of US$500,000 with 11 others from Southeast Asia and Australia. The team has invented a device which marries Assistive and Augmented Reality technologies, to help the elderly and disabled use full computer functions in composing and sending emails, control household appliances, such as television sets and lights. (newsclips)
The Outstanding Young Person of Singapore Award 2006 (Science and Technology Category), Junior Chamber of Commerce, Singapore. The award was presented by MCYS Minister Dr Vivian Balakrishnan on 29th March 2006. (newsclip)
2009 Emerging Leaders Award in Academia, Society for Women Engineers, US. The award was presented by SWE President on 16 October 2009, Long Beach CA. 1st Singaporean to have received this award since the award was 1st established. (more information from SWE, citation, official press release, pictures)
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Welfare Foundation (MSIWF) Research Award 2010 Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Welfare Foundation. There are only 4 awards in Singapore in 2010. The team is awarded this award for their research project on an 'Augmented Reality-Enhanced Navigation Assistance System'.
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship, 2011.
Teaching Commendation Award for Excellence in Teaching, NUS, 2000/2011.
Best Paper Award, June 2012, A Framework for Feature-based Product Modeling in a Collaborative Environment, S.K. Ong, L. Yang and A.Y.C. Nee, June 2012, ICFDM2012 10th International Conference on Frontiers of Design and Manufacturing Sciences (ICFDM), ChongQing, China, June 10-12, 2012.
2013 Singapore Youth Award, Medal of Commendation, Singapore National Youth Council. 1st female faculty in the Faculty of Engineering at NUS to have received this award. Only female MOC recipient since the award was initiated. (citation, NYC Media Release, youtube)
Virtual and Augmented Reality Applications in Manufacturing
Augmented Reality Applications in Assistive Technology and Rehabilitation Engineering
Life Cycle Engineering/Assessment
Distributed and Collaborative Manufacturing
Development of Computer-Based Teaching Tools
AR in Manufacturing and Assistive Technology Research, Application of Augmented Reality in Manufacturing and Assistive Technology/Rehabilitation
VMS, Development of a Virtual Manufacturing System
DCDM, Distributed and Collaborative Design and Manufacturing
Stewart Platforms Development, Development of a Modular Stewart Platforms
World Scientific Book Series on "Manufacturing Systems and Technology" - Assistant Editor (more information)
Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, International Institute of Informatics and Systemics (more information)
Member of the Executive Scientific Board of the International Journal on Interactive Design and Manufacturing, Springer (more information)
She has served as an invited reviewer of technical papers for 24 international journals and 48 international conferences, and invited reviewer for book proposals for Springer.
Authors of 2 high-level monographs, co-editor of 3 books and 1 conference proceedings, 101 published/accepted international journal publications, 14 book chapters, 84 international conference publications, Total citations to-date > 1135, H-index: 21
Member of International Technical Committees of major conferences for the last few years
1. Member of the organising committee, IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, Singapore, 2015.
2. Member of the international program committee, 12th ACM SIGGRAPH International Conference on Virtual-Reality Continuum and its Applications in Industry (VRCAI 2013), Hong Kong, 17-19 November, 2013.
3. Member of Technical Programme Committee, 2nd Serious Games & Social Connect conference, 26 – 28 August 2013, the Singapore Management University, Singapore.
4. Member of International Scientific Committee, 2nd CIRP Web Conference on “Beyond Modern Manufacturing: Technology for The Factories Of The Future”, 11-12 June 2013.
5. Member of International Scientific Committee, 20th CIRP International Conference on Life Cycle Engineering (LCE 2013), 17-19 April 2013, Singapore
6. Member of Organising Committee, 20th CIRP International Conference on Life Cycle Engineering (LCE 2013), 17-19 April 2013, Singapore
7. Member of the international program committee, 11th ACM SIGGRAPH International Conference on Virtual-Reality Continuum and its Applications in Industry (VRCAI 2012), Singapore, December 2-4, 2012.
8. Member of International Scientific Committee, CIRP 4th Conference on Assembly Technologies and Systems, May 21 – 23, 2012, The University of Michigan, USA
9. Member of International Programme Committee, 45th CIRP International Conference on Manufacturing Systems, Innovation: The Challenge for the Manufacturing of the Future, May 16-18, 2012, Athens, Greece
10. Member of International Program Committee, ACM SIGGRAPH International Conference on Virtual-Reality Continuum & its Applications in Industry, SIGGRAPH VRCAI Conference, 2011, 11-12 December, Hong Kong
11. Member of International Program Committee, 7th International Conference on Social and Organizational Informatics and Cybernetics SOIC 2011, 19-22 July 2011, Orlando, Florida, USA
12. Member of International Program Committee, 9th International Conference on Politics and Information Systems, Technologies and Applications PISTA 2011, 19-22 July 2011, Orlando, Florida, USA
13. Member of International Scientific Committee, IDMMEVC2010-2: The 8th Original Conference Virtual Concept 2010 on Virtual Approaches for Interactive Design and Manufacturing, 20-22 October 2010, Bordeaux, France.
14. Member of Technical Program Committee, 4th Asia International Symposium on Mechatronics, 15th – 18th December, 2010, Singapore
15. Member of International Program Committee, ACM SIGGRAPH International Conference on Virtual-Reality Continuum & its Applications in Industry, SIGGRAPH VRCAI Conference, 12-13 December 2010, COEX, Seoul, Korea
16. Member of Program Committee, International Workshop on Mobile Collaborative Augmented Reality, 13-16 October 2010, COEX, Seoul, Korea.
17. Member of International Program Committee, 8th International Conference on Politics and Information Systems, Technologies and Applications PISTA 2010, June 29th - July 2nd, 2010, Orlando, Florida, USA
18. Member of International Program Committee, 6th International Conference on Social and Organizational Informatics and Cybernetics SOIC 2010, June 29th - July 2nd, 2010, Orlando, Florida, USA
19. Advisor, International Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, ICSCI 2010, 27-30 January 2010, Andhra Pradesh, India, http://icsci.net/
ME5606, Intelligent Systems in Manufacturing
ME5609, Rapid Response Manufacturing
ME3263, Design for Manufacturing and Assembly
ME5611, Sustainable Product Design & Manufacturing
Theses & Projects Supervision
During her term as an NMP from 2nd January 2005 to 19th April 2006, she participated actively in the parliament debates on the President’s Address, the Annual Budget Debates in 2005 and 2006, development of the Integrated Resorts, National Kidney Foundation, and the Committees of Supply debates. She raised issues on and spoke on the Education System in Singapore, Singapore’s R&D landscape, assistance schemes to help men in need, as well as the schemes to help the low wage workers. She raised a total of 87 questions and issues, spoken on 6 Bills, and made 19 speeches, of which 6 speeches were made in Mandarin, during her term and had made good contribution to the debate on policy issues at the national level. The 6 Bills that she spoke on were (1) National Research Fund Bill, (2) Casino Control Bill, (3) National University of Singapore (Corporatisation) Bill, (4) Public Transport Council (Amendment) Bill, (5) Professional Engineers (Amendment) Bill, and (6) Town Councils (Amendment) Bill. She was the only NMP in the last batch of 9 NMPs to have raised an adjournment motion in the Parliament. The topic of her motion was Singapore’s National Research and Development Strategic Thrusts.
Media Reports & Interviews
国大王素琴博士获选全球最优秀工程师之一，联合早报2003 年12 月25日
Breaking The Mould, TODAY, 6th January 2005
Working-class Hero, Asia Inc., September 2005
Samsung DigitAll HOPE, Business Times, 7th November 2005
Dare to be Different, NUS Knowledge Enterprise, July 2006
She takes a hands-on approach to engineering, Straits Times, 31 July 2010
Teaching with her heart, NUS Annual Report 2010, page 29
A Women Engineer's Take on Engineering, 30 August 2011
Inspiring Women in Singapore 2012, 9 March 2012
Singapore Youth Award 2004 - Citation Quote
Updated17 July 2013